Some time ago I said that I was going to attempt to joggle a 100-mile ultra marathon. Well, today I’m announcing that I will not be making this attempt in Kansas. Here are my excuses.
1. I haven’t trained nearly enough for a 100 miler.
2. It’s more complicated to set up than I can manage right now.
3. I haven’t gotten permission from race organizers.
Additionally, I’m doing the Chicago Marathon and I really want to try to get a great time. The Kansas race is one week later and I’m just not convinced I would be ready to do both. But enough about what I’m not doing. On to what I AM doing.
Running and Juggling for 50 miles
Luckily, there is a 50 mile Ultramarathon right here in my fair city of Chicago. It’s the Chicago Lakefront 50/50 and will be October 27, 2007. This is 20 days after the marathon so I’ll have a bit more recovery time.
1. My friends and family will be able to come out and support me. This would’ve been much less likely in Kansas.
2. I know the course and it is nice and flat. No trails to worry about.
3. I may be able to get some local TV coverage.
4. It will be easier to get a team of people who can verify the record attempt.
5. Fifty miles is probably easier to do than 100 miles.
Taking all these factors into consideration, I went and signed up for the Chicago Lakefront 50 miler. It’s a great deal at a mere $40 for the entry fee.
And I’ll be officially making an attempt to break the world record for a juggling a 50 miler. I’ve already filed the paperwork with Guinness.
If anyone can be in Chicago on October 27, let me know. I can use all the support I can get.
Note: This doesn’t mean that I’ve given up on the 100 miler attempt. I just thought it makes more sense to get a 50 miler under my belt. My ever-tolerant wife Shannon agrees.