Readers of Just Your Average Joggler know that one of my goals is to live to 107. So, one of the aims of this blog is to disseminate information about how to do that through exercise, healthy living, and healthy eating. This blog is about the latter.
This article over at Men’s Health lists 10 foods you should eat but probably aren’t.
In case you don’t feel like reading the whole thing, here is the list.
1. Beets – Helps prevent heart disease & fight cancer.
2. Cabbage – Fights body damaging “free radicals”
3. Guava – Has more lycopene than tomatoes & more potassium than bananas.
4. Swiss Chard – Protects your eyes like carrots
5. Cinnamon – Controls blood sugar thus reducing heart disease risk
6. Purslane – highest level of omega-3 fats of any plant. Heart healthy
7. Pomegranate Juice – Reduces blood pressure
8. Goji berries – High level of antioxidants.
9. Prunes – Has antioxidants that protect you from cancer
10. Pumpkin seeds – Contain magnesium which protects men from early death.
Beets and cabbage should be fun for a joggler. You can juggle them before eating. (My wife loves when I play with my food 😉
I’ve gotta start eating more pumpkin seeds. They said men with the highest level of magnesium were 40% less like to suffer an early death.